Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Reddit Exchange | Arbitrary Day 2014

Recently I participated in Reddit's Arbitrary Day 2014 gift exchange. I signed up for the exchange because I really like making people happy and I consider myself a good gift-giver. They ask you to provide a bio and a list of likes and dislikes and favorite TV shows, movies, books, etc.

Here was my list (still current and accurate, by the way):

Likes:
-Movies
-Camping/Outdoors/Exploring/Travelling
-Makeup/Beauty/Skincare/Fashion
-Running/Fitness/Being active
-Coffee
-Beer
-Hot sauce
-Baseball
-US Navy Seals
-Austin, TX
-Breakfast Tacos
-Japan
-Sushi

Dislikes:
-Bacon
-Worms
-Seahorses
-Octopi

I was certain that my Secret Santa would look at my list and think, "Who is this person? Does someone who doesn't like bacon really exist??" But really, I'm just not a fan of bacon, sorry.

On the flip side, when I received my "match" as they called it, I was really surprised with how conflicted I got thinking of ideas for presents. My match was turning 18 in the middle of June; lived in Alamaba; and enjoyed hiking, camping, and long-boarding. My first instinct was to buy my match a GoPro because if I were 18 and liked all of those things, that would be something I wouldn't have/be able to afford. Honestly though, buying a stranger a GoPro is unrealistic, even if I enjoy making people happy and it was in theory, the perfect present. :)

Instead, I bought my match a few of my favorite adventure-type essentials: a Kleen Kanteen, an Epic Bar, some Shot Bloks, and a Poler Rucksack. I was really happy with what I bought and felt even better when my match thanked me for everything.

On to what I got!

I got a really nice compact mirror with a floral engraving on one side and a silhouette of Sherlock--yes, Benedict Cumberbatch Sherlock, on the other side. I actually keep it in my bag and have used it every day! (Found on Etsy here | $11)

Floral Side of Compact Mirror | Photo by KB

Sherlock Silhouette Side of Compact Mirror | Photo by KB

I also received a purple necklace pendant inspired by Game of Thrones--a purple dragon egg! I know what you're thinking, "How did the Secret Santa know KB was a closeted nerd?" I have no idea either. (Found on Etsy here | $20)

Purple Dragon Egg Pendant--iPhone quality, sorry! | Photo by KB

What I love about my gifts and this first Reddit Exchange experience as a whole, was that while I don't usually purchase TV/Movie/Entertainment-inspired things, these gifts are still so very much me. I can actually use them daily and they give a subtle nod to the things I love.

TL;DR I participated in my first Reddit gift exchange. I got a Sherlock-inspired compact mirror & game of Thrones-inspired necklace pendant--both really nerdy & I love them; overall great experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment